Well, my 26th birthday was on March 28. I wasn't wanting to do much. After a while birthdays aren't that big of a deal. And I had already gotten my birthday present from Scott...a night out to see My Fair Lady at the Buell Theater here in Denver. Eric and Erica, who were up visiting, were so nice to watch our kids so that we could go! Thanks you guys!! The play was long, but so good!! It was just like the movie and the cast did great. I would love to see it again! So I had a great gift and just wanted to enjoy some ice cream and cake on my birthday with my family. However, like many things in life, things never go as planned. This is a picture I took myself of me with my cake that I ate alone on my birthday.

Let me just say that I actually wasn't too disappointed. I was more worried about Katie, who was in the hospital with Scott. This was the first day of about 6 that she spent in the hospital during the following week. We'll start at the beginning...Katie started out with her usual cough and breathing troubles. We werent' too worried because she hasn't been getting very sick lately and we haven't had to use the nebulizer and albuterol for several months. We were hoping that she was growing out of her respiratory problems. Well, she continued to get worse, so I took her in to her pediatrician's office, expecting them to send me home with instructions to get the nebulizer back out and start her treatments. Unfortunately, 3 hours later I was still at the doctor's office with a tired, sick girl and a hungry, mad little boy. After several nebulizer treatments that didn't work we were sent to the emergency room with Katie on oxygen. Scott met me there and I took Jace home to go to bed. Poor Eric and Erica who were there to visit were starving and bored, so I sent them off to dinner, put Jace to bed, and ate my cake.

Katie was able to come home the next day (Saturday) because they thought she was doing a lot better. We were able to get this cute picture of the kids with Eric and Erica. I felt so bad that we couldn't do anything while they were visiting! But they were so great and were fine with going out and doing things on their own.
So...Katie did okay for a while. We kept her home from church on Sunday, but that evening she started doing badly again. She really struggled to breathe. It was kind of scary! Scott took her in, they tested her, didn't know what was wrong, and we decided to take her home so she could rest comfortably. They sent us home with instructions to call if she got worse. She did, and Scott had to take her in again at 1 in the morning. They decided to admit her and she was there until Thursday morning. They diagnosed her with RSV. For most people, this is just a cold, but for a few unlucky people, it gets into their lungs and causes respiratory problems. Since Katie is prone to getting respiratory infections, this was kind of a given. We are really hoping that she doesn't have asthma and grows out of this soon!

I felt so bad for Katie at the hospital...she was on oxygen the whole time because she couldn't keep it up on her own, and they had to wake her up every few hours to give her a breathing treatment. But despite all this, she did great and had fun playing with some new toys and watching lots of movies. The doctor's and nurses were great and we had a good experience at Children's Hospital at St. Joseph's.
Scott's mom came up to help us out, and Scott and I took turns staying the night at the hospital with Katie. We were so grateful to have Yvonne's help. I think it kept us sane. I wish I had pictures of her with the kids, but the week was so crazy I forgot to get the camera out when we were at home!

Katie is doing much better now and we just finished her breathing treatments today. The picture above shows all of Katie's get well cards. Lots of family and friends helped us out and we really appreciated all of the support...meals, phone calls, fun things for Katie...it was wonderful! We are mostly so glad to see her getting better and not have to work so hard to breathe. Having sick kids is definitely one of the hardest things about being a parent.

Jace also got sick, they think it was probably RSV too, but not nearly as sick as Katie. His was more like a cold, although he did get a high fever and a rash. Scott is also a little sick, as well as Eric and Erica...sorry you guys! But we are out of the worst and glad to have life going back to normal.
Some other great new...Scott passed his dental board exams!!! HOORAY!! We are so glad to have that over with and now we can concentrate on what lies ahead. Good job Scott!!!
19 comments:
I am so sorry! I wish I knew about it BEFORE it was over. But it sounds like you had plenty of help. That must have been so rough to have your whole family sick. I am sorry that your birthday was so lonely. I am very glad to hear that Katie is doing better. You are such a great mom. Oh and congrats to Scott!
AAAHHHHH!!!! I can't believe that you spent so much time at the hospital. Now I feel REALLY bad that I didn't stop by to say Hi on Saturday like I said I would. I am so glad that she is feeling better. I would have been really scared if Lily was having a hard time breathing. You are so right, it's tough to have sick kids. I know you guys are moving soon, but please call (or have someone call me) if this happens again. I would love to help out anyway I can! I owe you, remember?! How many meals did you bring me when Lily was in the hospital :) Anyway, I'm glad she is doing better! Your cake looks really good!!
You guys have really been through a lot lately - I am glad that everyone is doing better!
Happy Birthday Stacey! I'm glad your daughter is feeling better now. It was great to hear from you. It sounds like things are going really well for you guys in Denver. Congrats on passing the boards Scott and also getting a job with Harris Dental. Dr. Harris has been my dentist for a long time. He is actually my Stake President right now as well.
Brittany and I are doing great. We are still in Rexburg and I am graduating this week. We have two kids now and it is a ton of fun. We are also moving to Richmond, VA in July so that I can attend VCU dental school. I have to admit that I'm a little bit jealous that you guys are done already. I remember when we had that little get together at Brandi's and you were in your second or third year. That time went by so fast, so I hope that holds true for us.
Good luck with everything. It was great to hear from you.
Hey Stace! My mom told me about Brandi's blog, and I found you and Kris too. Congratulations on having healthy kids again and being done with school! That's great.
I've been in Michigan for about 2 and a half years and love it. (Except for the winter, but it's not much worse than Idaho :)
Anyway, have a good day. It's good to see you and your kids.
luv, cindy
oh my gosh you guys,what a week! I'm so glad that Katie was in the hospital it just breaks my heart to see little ones in those sterile rooms with oxygen. She is so cute and I'm so glad she is feeling better. Congrats on boards to! What a huge relief that that it's FINALLY over!
I'm so glad to hear that Katie's doing better. Hopefully she'll grow out of the respiratory problems soon or maybe it'll just stay here in CO when you guys move to ID. Congrats to Scott on passing. I'm sure it's a huge relief.
What a week!!! I am so relieved that she is feeling better. What a trooper!
Congrats to Scott...a very deserved passing score!
Pretty soon we will be moving on to a new life. I'm sad thinking about it. We will miss you guys!
Stacey, I am sooo sorry to hear about Katie. That really is the scariest thing about being a parent, having something happen to your kid. I am glad that she is better, and what a sweet pic with all her get well cards, you have a wonderful family! and happy late birthday. probably not the most fun way to celebrate a birthday!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Happy passing dental board exams!! Not so happy sick kids!! Glad you guys are feeling better. Hope you all stay that way.
when are you moving to ID? I will hopefully be out there at the end of the summer.
I am so glad that Katie is doing better. It really is tough having sick kids. We had something like that in our house too (not like little Katie) Kendall and Mia had the high fever with the cold and cough. You guys are troopers. I'm so glad they are doing better. Congrats to Scott for passing! We had not doubts that he would.
Whoa, what a Happy Birthday you had! You're right, it is the worst thing when your kids get sick, it leaves you feeling pretty helpless. I hope that your family is doing better now, and congrats to Scott. I am sure that you are super excited for what lies ahead!
Hey guys - found your blog through Brock nd Kristina. Sorry to hear about the sick kids. Family looks great and your kids are so flippin cute. Pumped about you guys comming back to Idaho, maybe we'll catch up sometime. I have a rotation in Denver (I think St. Josephs) at the end of this year and really looking forward to it. Congrats on the boards Scott - I'm jealous. See ya.
-Scott
Sounds like a yucky week! I am sooo sorry! I want you to know that I thought of you several times around your birthday (I must confess I forgot on the actual day, but shortly thereafter a remembered a couple times) Sick kids are the worst! I definatley agree....the hardest part of being a mom. Are you getting ready to move?
that si really scary!! I hope she doe get better. I know that Christian and 2 of his siister suffer from asthma. I hope Delia doesn't have to go through that. Good luck with that and with your move! We'll miss you!
Sounds like that was quite the ordeal. I am glad things seem to be back to normal now. We sure missed you at the alumni game... it was quite embarrassing. I hope everything is going well!
I am so glad Katie is back to her normal, beautiful self. She is such a doll. I can't stand to see little ones sick. It's so hard! I know that must have been such a rough week! Wish I could've helped out more. You guys are such incredible people. I look up to you a lot.
I am sorry about the birthday thing even though you said it wasn't too disappointing. I am really glad that Katie and Jace made a full recovery.
I'm so glad that Katie is feeling better, though I'm sorry your family has had to go through that. Congratulations to Scott for passing his boards! Isn't it crazy that four years have passed already? It's so cool that you get to move back close to family. Good luck with your move and getting everything ready!
Post a Comment