Monday, December 8, 2008

Christmas Tree

We went up into the mountains the weekend after Thanksgiving with all of my family to pick out our Christmas trees. It was a beautiful day, and there was just enough snow to have fun in. The kids had fun sledding and playing in the snow while a few in the group went tree hunting. It didn't take long before everyone found something good!

Our tree is a classic mountain tree (lots of gaps and not very symmetrical) but I love it! We all had fun decorating the tree and now our house looks very festive. I was worried for the first few days about how all of our decorations would fare with the kids pulling, throwing, touching them all of the time, but after the initial newness wore off they were pretty good and left things alone most of the time. We set out a small Christmas tree and children's nativity set that they are allowed to play with and that seems to help. The other day I attempted to make sugar cookies with the kids to share with friends. They had a lot of fun, but it was crazy! Jace was only interested in putting anything he could get his hands on in his mouth and Katie loved to 'help' by piling up flour and giving it to Jace, which he would then eat. But the cookies turned out great and we were able to get enough good ones to give out to a few people.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

I think your tree is awesome, I am jealous of the smell you are enjoying! Sugar cookies are a great part of the holidays.

Jennifer Groves said...

Love the tree, it's cute. I am also amazed at how clean your kitchen is while baking with your kids. Mine never looks that good when baking with my kids. You're my hero.

Super B said...

Oh, to have a real tree. I guess I don't ever want to buy a real tree, but be somewhere where I can cut one down. For now, we will stick with our dinky fake one.
That cookie making looks like fun. Jace eating flour...hilarious. I love that you let your kids in the kitchen. I am sure they will have lasting memories of that.

Kunz fam said...

Your tree looks great. I have to say I miss the smell of pine around Christmas time. We'll have to get a real tree one of these years. I love that Katie was feeding Jace flour...yummy!!

The Wanbergs said...

Looks like lots of fun. We made gingerbread men for the ladies I visit teach, and Eden ate lots of dough in the process...no big deal, except then there was less for me!:(

Blaise and Tia said...

Hi guys, check out our new blog!
http://www.blaiseandtia.blogspot.com/
See ya on Christmas!!!!